Green smoothies are my new favorite thing. I’m trying to give up dairy but was having a hard time coming up with a breakfast alternative after making the same yogurt smoothie for two years. Well ask and ye shall receive. My brother got me a Magic Bullet for Christmas (which is not as good at blending as my Bella btw) and in it were dairy-free smoothie recipes. #solutions. So I’ve been playing around with ingredients and trying to find the perfect mix of something easy, cheap, healthy and that my son would drink (I want it all). Again, ask…receive. I was scrolling through my Instagram feed recently and saw this adorable little girl drinking a green smoothie. #solutions. So here are my two favorites right now:
1) Winter Greens Smoothie: This yummy concoction was my boyfriend’s idea and it turned out to be really great and I like the tips at the top of the webpage as well. Click on the picture and it will take you there. Yes, you too can have broccoli for breakfast!
2. Lean Green Machine: I stole this one from an old friend that I connected with on Instagram. The picture of her kid drinking it made me want to start making them in the hopes that mine would get on board…not so much. I’m still working on him though. Fear not, I’ll break him.
I know they look gross but they can be so good! Here are some things that I have learned:
1. Peel your banana before you freeze it.
2. Blend in stages. My Magic Bullet has a hard time pureeing everything all at once so if I blend the apple, ice and water first, for example, and then add the banana and blend and then everything else, the greens puree much better. No one wants to chew kale through a straw in the morning.
3. Put the heavy stuff on top (or in my case the bottom because you flip the magic bullet cup over before you blend). You want the liquids closer to the blade and the heavy stuff like ice and apple pieces to weigh down the greens and other things.
I like these smoothies much better than juicing which I tried years ago but the machine was such a hassle with its 72 parts. I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do! Do you have any smoothie recipes that you love and want to share?
P.S. Cheese is hard to quit.
P.P.S. I can get my kiddo to drink a dairy-free fruit smoothie. I just throw in whatever frozen fruit I have on hand and/or banana and splash in OJ and Almond milk (it helps cut the sweetness and adds calcium). He loves it!